Jeff Long chairs the firm’s litigation group. His primary areas of practice focus on commercial litigation, including breach of contract, unfair trade practice statute violations, trade secret enforcement, antitrust issues, debtor defense, creditor’s rights, landlord/tenant disputes, as well as various forms of equitable relief. Representing both plaintiffs and defendants, Jeff acts as a trusted partner to his clients as he works to align a legal strategy that addresses long-term best interests and unique needs with a definition of what success looks like. He is dedicated to crafting creative legal solutions that deliver value and respect budgets and is passionate about problem-solving on behalf of his clients, day in and day out.
Jeff is also skilled in representing property owners, developers, general contractors, and subcontractors throughout North Carolina and South Carolina in construction-related disputes, lien enforcement and surety bond claims. With an extensive professional background in litigation, Jeff has built a reputation in State Courts throughout the Carolinas. Additionally, he has litigated matters before panels of the American Arbitration Association and arbitration through FINRA (formerly the National Association of Securities Dealers).
In addition to his active litigation practice, Jeff is also a North Carolina Superior Court Mediator and Certified South Carolina Circuit Court Mediator. Jeff’s mediation practice has recently increased and he has mediated cases involving construction disputes, debt collection, breach of contract and negligence claims. Jeff’s practical approach to problem solving and experience litigating cases make him an effective mediator.
Jeff and his wife Meredith have two (2) children with whom they enjoy spending as much time as possible. Jeff enjoys traveling, spending time with extended family, is an active member and a participant on various leadership committees at Myers Park Presbyterian Church, and has coached youth sports. He is an avid college football and basketball fan and supports his alma mater, NC State.
- Commercial Construction
- Commercial Real Estate
- Financial Services
- Residential Construction
- B.A., North Carolina State University 1993
- J.D., University of South Carolina 2002
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
- United States District Court for the Western and Eastern Districts of North Carolina
- United States District Court for South Carolina
- American Association for Justice
- North Carolina Advocates for Justice
- American Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Defended a multi-million dollar claim on behalf of a large financial services firm by a dissatisfied former customer that accused the firm of negligence and constructive fraud.
- Represented an individual creditor in collection of debt in excess of $500,000 from a South Carolina corporation.
- Defended a corporate executive accused of violating Federal Antitrust laws.
- Represented a shareholder of a closely-held corporation in his dispute with a fellow shareholder who ultimately agreed to tender his shares in the company.
- Represented sole shareholder of a North Carolina corporation against claim by his siblings to divest him of company shares acquired from shareholder's late father.
- Represented mechanical contractor in suit to recover retainage payments wrongfully withheld by a general contractor.
- Defended borrower and multiple guarantors against efforts to collect under terms of a construction loan agreement that was unsatisfied by original lender.
Publications and Speaking Appearances
- Mecklenburg County Bar Leadership Institute – 2007.
- Trial Briefs - What are You going to Do After You get That Judgment
- Super Lawyers, Rising Star in Business Litigation: 2009 and 2011.
- Business North Carolina - Legal Elite; Commercial Litigation (2014).
- U.S. News and World Report – Best Lawyers in America; Commercial Litigation (2018 – 2021)
- Super Lawyers – Business Litigation
- Construction Law Society of America - Fellow
“Jeff is an extremely responsive as well as attentive as an attorney. His attention to detail has already directly impacted a case that was not handled well by our previous attorney and will save us thousands of dollars. I highly recommend Jeff Long and believe he is one of the best in Charlotte.”
Eric Wilson, Managing Partner
The Vision Group